This is a recipe I made for my chickens for Christmas. I have been hanging it up for them every day while they are free ranging and bring it in at night to keep the rats away from it. It’s a quick and easy recipe I found via Fresh Eggs Daily which is a great resource for any poultry keeper. At first I hung it up fairly high to make them work for their treat but decided to lower it later to make it a little easier for them and the little ones to get.
Christmas Wreath for Chickens
Unflavored Knox gelatin, 3 packets
1/2 Cup cold water
1 1/2 Cups boiling water
1 Cup coconut oil or bacon grease, melted
8 cups scratch, seeds, nuts, grains and/or dried fruit
24 fresh cranberries
- Spray bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Stir gelatin into a measuring cup with the cold water and set aside for 1 minute.
- Pour boiling water into medium sized bowl and whisk in the gelatin.
- Add 8 cups of scratch, seeds, nuts, grains and/or dried fruit to a large bowl. I used 7 cups scratch, handful of mixed dried fruit (raisins, cherries, cranberries) and a little farro.
- Add melted oil and gelatin to the bowl of seed mixture and mix well.
- Place 3 cranberries in a row in each crease of the bundt pan.
- Carefully add the mixture to the bundt pan and press to compact.
- Place the bundt pan in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge and turn pan over onto a cutting board and tap lightly.
- Tie ribbon around the bundt pan and hang for your chickens to enjoy.