This is a recipe I made for my chickens for Christmas. I have been hanging it up for them every day while they are free ranging and bring it in at night to keep the rats away from it. It’s a quick and easy recipe I found via Fresh Eggs Daily which is a great resource for any poultry keeper. At first I hung it up fairly high to make them work for their treat but decided to lower it later to make it a little easier for them and the little ones to get.
Christmas Wreath for Chickens
Unflavored Knox gelatin, 3 packets
1/2 Cup cold water
1 1/2 Cups boiling water
1 Cup coconut oil or bacon grease, melted
8 cups scratch, seeds, nuts, grains and/or dried fruit
24 fresh cranberries
- Spray bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Stir gelatin into a measuring cup with the cold water and set aside for 1 minute.
- Pour boiling water into medium sized bowl and whisk in the gelatin.
- Add 8 cups of scratch, seeds, nuts, grains and/or dried fruit to a large bowl. I used 7 cups scratch, handful of mixed dried fruit (raisins, cherries, cranberries) and a little farro.
- Add melted oil and gelatin to the bowl of seed mixture and mix well.
- Place 3 cranberries in a row in each crease of the bundt pan.
- Carefully add the mixture to the bundt pan and press to compact.
- Place the bundt pan in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge and turn pan over onto a cutting board and tap lightly.
- Tie ribbon around the bundt pan and hang for your chickens to enjoy.
2 thoughts on “Christmas Wreath Treat for Chickens Recipe”
Enjoyed the show! I'll be watching for your future work. I'm interested in seeing how your photograph your chickens. I've photograph people and places for years but are finding photographing my chickens challenging to say the least. My challenges is the not so attractive backgrounds and the constantly moving animals. I'm about ready to make some backgrounds myself! Small House Homestead. http://smallhouseunderabigtreehomestead.wordpress.com
Hi there. I do a lot of photographing of my chickens. I post a lot on my instagram account http://instagram.com/gapey I also post my \”better\” photos in a Google+ gallery: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115541572952609738763/albums/6066129026680848753 It does take an awful lot of photos to come out with the good ones. The best photos come out when it's overcast and not too sunny. For some reason I can't get to your site. I get the following message: \”smallhouseunderabigtreehomestead.wordpress.com doesn’t existDo you want to register smallhouseunderabigtreehomestead.wordpress.com?\”